Find one artifact that you want to examine in your research project and post it to your website.
Your artifact can be any medium. It can be an image, a piece of text, a book, a video, an audio clip, or something else entirely, as long as it is a primary source.
Posting an artifact to your site involves the steps outlined below:
- Create a new page on your website and put the artifact on that page, either by uploading it to your media library or by inserting an embed code on the page. Be sure to publish the page.
- Install the Shortcodes Ultimate plugin on WordPress.
- Upload an image to your media library that you would like to serve as the thumbnail image that links to your artifact page.
- Copy the URL of the page for your artifact, and paste that page where it says “Slide Link” next to the image in your media library. This turns the image into a link when you put it in a gallery.
- After you’ve uploaded the image to your media library, before you leave, take note of the image’s ID number. You will need it later.
- Go back to Shortcodes Ultimate and chose how you want your gallery to display–slider, carousel, or gallery. Read over the pages for the shortcodes and get a sense of how you can customize them.
- For whichever kind of gallery you chose, copy the shortcode, then go to your gallery page and paste it in a new block.
- Within the shortcode, where it says link=””, write link=”custom”. Where it says source=””, write source=”media: ##” where ## is the image ID number from step 5.
- Feel free to experiment with the other settings in the shortcode to see how they display differently. For instance, try changing the width and height and seeing how it looks when you preview the page, or try the different options for title. Decide what display options you think look best.
- When you’re done, be sure to click “Publish”. Your gallery should now have an image on it that serves as a link to the page with your artifact.
To earn credit for this assignment, your artifact should be a primary source related to your research question and should be visible on a new page on your website which is accessible via a thumbnail on your gallery page.